Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Response #2

1. Remembering that you don’t have to be good at everything, what are two or three strengths that you have developed in your life and that set you apart from others?

This past weekend I went home to AZ for my older sister's wedding reception. It was fun to see so many people from my growing up years but it also provided some awkward moments. When I meet someone I will remember them and their face forever. There are people that I haven't seen in 10 years but when they walked in I knew exactly who they were. It was fun to see them but most of them had no idea who I was until I reintroduced myself. One of the reasons that I remember people so well is because my brain associates their face with an interesting or funny story that I have heard about them. When I think of the story I remember their name and many other things about them. It makes me sound like I am a stalker but my brain just processes and stores that information very quickly.

Another strength that I have is loyalty. I love to make new friends but I also love to keep friends. When I was on my mission I wrote at least 10 letters every week to various friends and family that I wanted to keep in contact with. I am willing to set aside my needs to help a friend at any moment that I possibly can.

2. Why do you think General Norman Schwarzkopf felt that character is more important than strategy?

General Schwarzkopf thought that character was more important than strategy because it is not something that can be taught or learned. People can influence you to develop greater character but it is something that comes from within. Strategy can be taught be giving someone additional information and helping them to see a situation from different angles. Character is also more important but it effects the relationships that you have with others around you. Not having strategy as a strength may not bring you great worldly success but having poor character will destroy relationships that you have with the people around you.

3. In your BYUSA assignment, what have you chosen as your “hedgehog,” or the thing(s) that you will do better than anyone else?

My hedgehog in my BYUSA assignment is that I work hard to get to know everyone and the things going on in their lives. In working with them I can develop relationships because I remember and ask them about it later. Many of my program directors are a bit overwhelmed with starting their freshman years but I have been able to continue to connect with them by being concerned about all aspects of their life.

No comments:

Post a Comment